Frequently Asked Questions
For Reservations & Information Call:
Toll Free US 1-888-934-9199
Direct (808) 934-9199
1) Where do we meet? Is there parking and restrooms?
Our customers will meet at Bike Volcano headquarters located at: 19-3972 Old Volcano Road in Volcano Village. (less than 0.9 miles from the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Bike Trail). We have parking and restrooms available for all of our customers.
2) Are the bicycle tour courses difficult or suitable for any cyclist?
Our bicycle tour courses are suitable foe recreational/intermediate level cyclist. All cyclists must have the ability to steer, shift, and balance on gravel and road terrains (no beginners are allowed).
3) Is there an age restriction and children allowed on tour or to rent an e-bike?
Hawaii State Law for E-bikes cyclist is ages 15 years old and above.
4) What is the terrain like on the bicycle tours?
The terrain on our day bicycle tours of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park consists of gravel, paved roads, and paved bike trails on level terrain around the erupting summit crater of Kilauea Volcano then slopes downhill when we enter the native Hawaiian rainforest area. There are a couple of short hills in the tour course and a longer hill on the return to our headquarters, which is easily manageable with our e-bikes.
5) What happens if it rains?
Please be advised that we bike rain or shine. Preferably shine!!! The Kilauea General Store (located nest to our Bike Volcano shop) sells rain ponchos and also the Visitor Center in the Park. We do not offer refunds or rain checks. Be prepared for windy and possibly misty & wet conditions!!!
Please see our Details page concerning our Cancellation and Inclement Weather Policy.
6) What is your cancellation policy?
Due to the popularity of our volcano bike rentals and tours we require a no less than 48-hour notice for schedule changes and cancellations. For cancellations within 48 hours of the reservation date there is a 100% cancellation charge. Cancellations are 100% refundable less the credit card fee if we our notified BY PHONE before 48 hours of the tour date (email cancellations are not accepted within 48 hours of the tour date).
7) Is there a bike bag or basket on the bicycles or should I bring a backpack?
There is a small bike bag for a cell phone on each bicycle. Customers should bring a backpack to hold water bottles and layer clothing.
8) What should I bring?
- Credit Card and Identification for the equipment deposit ($1500 per party).
- Fully Charged Smartphone (required)
- Closed Toe Shoes (required)
- Layered Clothing
- Backpack (available to rent $5)
- Rain Jacket (for sale at the Kilauea General Store or the Visitor Center)
- Your Sense of Adventure
!!! Riders should wear layered clothing to ensure your comfort while bicycling. Temperatures at the Summit (4000? above sea level) sometimes range in the low 60’s to upper 70’s.